swansea university is pleased to offer generous scholarship and bursaries packages to international students – click the links below to see eligibility criteria, details of how to apply and the deadlines. some of our scholarships can be combined so make sure you apply for all that are relevant to you and your chosen course.
each year we have a number of international excellence scholarships available for students who have already demonstrated academic excellence or show potential to do so during their time at swansea university.
scholarships are awarded as a discount off tuition fees for postgraduate taught courses and mres programmes.
full terms and conditions are available on the application form.
|postgraduate international excellence scholarship||up to £4,000||
january 2021 entry – 12.00 gmt 18th december 2020
september 2021 entry - applications open
please note to be considered for a scholarship, you must already hold an offer to study with swansea university. once you are ready to apply please complete an excellence scholarship application form and return to email@example.com
the scheme is open to all non-eu swansea alumni candidates applying for a taught master’s or research degree in any subject area.
the definition of ‘alumni’ is candidates who have successfully completed a ‘full’ degree programme at swansea university for example:
- students who have qualified with a bachelor degree applying for a postgraduate taught or research programme
- a taught masters’ student applying for research programme.
the following candidates are not eligible for an alumni bursary:
- exchange students
- visiting/associate students (including english language students)
- the college, swansea university foundation/pre-master’s programme students
- celta students, gdl and lpc students
- students qualifying with an ‘exit’ qualification
- students upgrading from mphil to phd.
|fee level||bursary amount||academic criteria|
|all fees||£5,000 per year||first class|
|all fees||£3,000 per year||second class, first division|
|all fees||£1,000 per year||second class, second division|
|taught masters to research degree||£3,000 per year*||*subject to satisfactory progress|
admissions will advise applicants on their offer letter if they are eligible for the award.
- non-eu alumni only will be eligible.
the non-eu alumni bursary is only available to students who have met the minimum academic requirement for an award (see above table for details).
alumni bursaries are available for both full and part-time study. for students studying part-time, the award will be made on a pro-rata basis.
- students must have satisfactorily completed the original degree programme that they were admitted to at swansea university (excludes ‘fall-back’ qualifications).
terms and conditions:
- students must normally be privately funded*. the alumni bursary cannot be taken in conjunction with any scholarship from a student’s national government or other sponsor.
- the alumni bursary may only be used to offset tuition fees.
- a reduced tuition fee will be levied at enrolment for the duration of the programme of study, subject to satisfactory annual progression.
- alumni bursaries are non-transferable.
- employees of swansea university will not be eligible.
- the admissions and recruitment committee may use whatever means of assessment it thinks most appropriate in order to determine which candidates are worthy of recommendation to senate for the award of an alumni bursary.
- alumni bursary holders, having accepted an award, may be contacted by the university’s public relations office.
- if it is deemed necessary for an alumni bursary holder to suspend their studies, the bursary will be held on university account and carried forward to the year of resumption of studies and the student will be expected to pay their personal contribution on a pro-rata basis.
- with the approval of the vice-chancellor or nominee, if an alumni bursary holder’s progress is deemed to be unsatisfactory, the bursary may be withdrawn. if the student feels that such a withdrawal is unjustified, s/he may appeal in writing, using the university’s formal appeal mechanism.
- senate reserves the right to make, amend, withdraw, suspend or cancel without notice these and such other regulations as may be in force from time to time and such decisions shall be final.
*students in receipt of a part-scholarship (up to 50% of full tuition fee) may be considered for an alumni award.
swansea university is a popular destination for chevening scholars and we are proud to support this scholarship programme and increase the number of chevening scholars that we welcome to our campuses each year.
- chevening scholarships are the uk government's global scholarship programme, funded by the foreign and commonwealth office (fco) and partner organisations.
- the scholarships are awarded to outstanding scholars with leadership potential.
- awards are typically for a one year master’s degree at universities across the uk.
- there are over 50,000 chevening alumni around the world who together comprise an influential and highly regarded global network.
- meet some of our chevening scholars who have studied at swansea university.
- for further information, we recommend you refer to the chevening website.
how do i apply?
- applications for 2021 chevening scholarships are now closed.
music scholarships at swansea university
our music entrance scholarships are designed to enable talented musicians to continue to develop their skill and musicianship in a supportive environment. these scholarships are open to new undergraduate students studying any subject and are tenable for the duration of the scholar's undergraduate degree.
two kinds of music scholarships are available:
- university instrumental scholarships
- joint choral scholarships, held in conjunction with st mary’s church
the scholarships have a nominal value of £1000 per year, comprising:
- regular individual lessons in the scholar’s instrument or voice
- a bursary of £300 per year, to support the purchase of sheet music, exam fees, etc
to apply and to find out more information please visit our music website pages.
the scheme aims to cover the enormous spectrum of talent which young people reveal in individual and team sports. we look for students who not only satisfy the normal academic requirements for admission but who have also demonstrated outstanding ability in whatever sporting sphere they have made their specialty.
full details, including the application form, can be found here: //www.saloneselcaudillo.com/sport/high-performance-sports-and-scholarships/tass-and-scholarships/
deadline & Queries
the deadline for applications is friday 28th february 2020. should you have any further questions regarding your application, please email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com or call 01792 543571.
number of scholarships available: 3
study in wales is excited to confirm a prestigious new scholarship programme for international students wishing to study at a welsh university in 2021.
the scholarships are available to students from vietnam, india, the usa and countries of the european union. this prestigious scheme is the first scholarship of it’s kind wales and is funded by the global wales programme – a partnership between the welsh government, universities wales, the british council and hefcw.
you need to have already applied for a place to study an eligible postgraduate programme before you submit your scholarship application.
applications should be submitted via the global wales website and any questions relating to the scholarship should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
eligibility, terms and conditions:
• applicants must have applied for and received an offer to study at swansea university at master’s level in september 2021 (january 2021 entry applicants are not eligible for this scholarship)
• students studying for a phd, mphil, masters by research, graduate diploma in law, postgraduate diploma, postgraduate certificate or erasmus mundus programme are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
• successful applicants will not be able to combine the global wales postgraduate scholarship with any other scholarship that swansea university offers.
• successful candidates will have their tuition fee levied at enrolment. candidates must confirm acceptance of their scholarship, accept an offer of a place on a course and pay their £2,000 deposit.
• scholarship holders, having accepted an award, are reasonably expected to co-operate in swansea university recruitment activities and automatically agree to their names and details being released by the university’s international development office for marketing purposes.
• scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the awarding committee
for more information: studyinwales.ac.uk/global-wales-postgraduate-scholarship
application form: studyinwales.ac.uk/global-wales-postgraduate-scholarships-application-form
academic college scholarships
the eira francis davies scholarship is a full tuition fee scholarship ordinarily awarded to one outstanding female student per academic year. the student must be a national of and resident in an eligible developing country, who pursues a postgraduate taught master’s programme within swansea university’s college of human and health sciences.
applicants must fulfil all of the strict eligibility criteria listed as follows...
- hold a minimum 2:1 bachelors degree or equivalent qualification.
- have formally accepted an offer to study an eligible, full-time, postgraduate taught master’s programme within the college of human and health sciences at swansea university. eligible programmes can be found here.
- be female.
- be a new student to swansea university.
- within their application, demonstrate strong academic ability, financial requirement and desire to study their chosen course at swansea university.
- be a national of, and ordinarily resident in, a non-eu, developing country listed by the world bank country and lending groups classification as being ‘low income’ or ‘lower-middle income’.
- not receive any other financial support from swansea university (e.g. tuition fee reduction, scholarship or bursary).
- not be a progressing student from the college, swansea university.
applications to the eira francis davies scholarship for the 2020/21 academic year are now closed
for further information please email email@example.com
international postgraduate taught masters scholarship
we are pleased to offer a £500 scholarship as a fee waiver for international students choosing to join us to study a postgraduate taught program at the medical school.
what is on offer:
a £500 tuition fee reduction to be awarded to any international student with a valid offer to study a full taught master course with the medical school in january 2021.
how to apply:
- all applicants must complete the linked application form with a 500 word supporting statement
- all applications must be received by 30th of november 2020
full information including eligibility criteria and terms and conditions can be found on the college's webpages here.
- courses and entry requirements
- costs, fees and funding
- application guidelines
- your country information
- life in swansea
- visa information and support
- english language training services
- the college, swansea university
- study Abroad & Exchange
- our agents
- contact us
- interactive international guide 2021
- Coronavirus Q&As for international students